Monday, April 25, 2005

Projects, I've got projects...

Okay, since I haven't posted in a while I should probably update. I've bought about $80 of yarn in the past week, and I don't really know why...okay at least 3/4 of the cost was for specific projects, and the rest was impulse "i might need this" buying.

I started on the "Cozy" wrap from Knitty, with a lovely Merino/Silk/Cotton/Acrylic blend that has interesting flecks of color and slubs in it. Unfortunately I realized far too late into it, that my knitting was 25" wide and the pattern is 18.75, so my 8 skeins of yarn are not going to produce 67.5 inches of length. It looks like it will be about 25" x 50", which is not an appealing proportion for me.

I'm going to try to head back to the yarn store tomorrow to see if there are any skeins left, but since I got it off the 25% off table I'm not entirely optimistic (plus I fear going anyplace I might end up buying more yarn right now). If I can't find more I plan on finding some complementary yarn for some sort of fringe on both ends of the wrap.


I wanted to do the new ASANA patern from Knitty, but haven't been able to find the yarn yet, and ended up buying a bunch of Peaches and Cream cotton at Walmart the other day and deciding to knit the Yoga Mat Bag from SnB Nation with it. I'm pretty excited by the bright Orange and yellow tones with my Lavander Mat; it looks really electric.

I bought a 1 pound cone of Peaches & Cream in White as well, because it was only $5.65 and it looked so clean and fresh I felt I had to make something with it. I'd be tempted to try a ASANA-like pattern with it if it weren't my first project and I hadn't heard so many horror stories about working with 100% Cotton.

I'm looking for some rapid satisfaction projects too, and when my Cascade 220 comes in from WEBS I'll probably crank out some felted slippers and a bag. I bought some more Chuckanut Bay 10ply from the sale table at the LYS and can't wait to felt with it again (It did even better than Cascade on my last project)

I'm still looking for friends with digital cameras in Chicago so I can post all my pictures, until I splurge on my own (I'm just too picky to get a cheap one). But hopefully I'll soon be showing off like all the cool kids on the web (I'm envying Fluffa's and Rock Chick's FO lately)

No comments: