Thursday, May 04, 2006

Keeping up with the big kids

Every now and then I look at my stash, my finished objects, my blog and I feel....insufficient. I feel like I need to keep up with the rest of the pack. Although I try to tell myself that the majority of the pack has been at this whole knitting thing for 5-50 years and I haven't even been at it for a year and a half, it does little to appease my hunger for more. I think I want part of every outfit I wear to be something I made, and everytime I go out there should be something that someone, somewhere might ask "Oh, did you make that?"

Is it pride? jealousy? vanity? materialism? or just a strong competitive drive?

The more I think about it, the more I realize that it's none of the things I think it is. I think the truth of it is that I have a degree in Fine Arts for a reason, and knit and knit and knit and buy supplies as much as I like, even if I catch up with the Masons and the Dixons and the Rabbits and the Harlots, I still cannot fully fill my needs for creativity with knitting. I need more! I need non-functional objects, I need big things, and intricate things, and hard things and pointy things and rusty things, and FAR more texture than all the soft and beautiful knitting I do can ever provide.

I need to do more ART!

please note: this will probably not slow down my knitting much, but if you see the occassional strand of barbed wire thrown in with cashmere, now you'll know why.



Visit my Non-Knitting blog here

No comments: